How to convert png to vector in Adobe Illustrator?

Hi

I have a PNG file that I want to use in my Illustrator project, but the image is pixelated when I try to scale it up. I’ve heard that converting the PNG to a vector format can help with this.

How do I do this in Illustrator?

Thank you

2 Likes

hi @ariarodesign … thanks to join our discussion.

In regard to your question, you could consider the following steps:

Open the PNG file in Illustrator by going to File > Open and selecting the file from your computer.

Once the PNG file is open in Illustrator, go to Object > Image Trace > Make to convert the image to a vector format. This will bring up the Image Trace panel, which allows you to adjust the settings for the conversion.

In the Image Trace panel, you can experiment with different preset options or customize the settings to achieve the desired result. For example, you can adjust the threshold, paths, and corners settings to refine the conversion. You can also use the Preview checkbox to see how the conversion will look before applying it.

When you are satisfied with the conversion, click the Expand button to apply the changes. This will create a new group of vector shapes based on the original image.

You can then use the Selection Tool (V) to select the group of vector shapes and manipulate them as needed. For example, you can resize the image without losing quality, or use the Pathfinder panel to combine or subtract shapes.

If you want to save the vector version of the image for future use, you can go to File > Save As and select a file format such as .AI (Adobe Illustrator) or .EPS (Encapsulated PostScript).

Note that converting a PNG to a vector in Illustrator may not always produce the desired result, depending on the complexity and quality of the original image. In some cases, it may be necessary to manually trace the image using the Pen Tool or other techniques to achieve the desired level of detail and precision.

Hope these steps help. Thanks again to join our discussion. :+1:

2 Likes